WHAT CAN SCHOOLCHILDREN DO?
In recent days, the approval of new state educational standards for school and secondary special, vocational education has been one of the most discussed topics. Abdurahim Nasirov, head of department of the Ministry of Public Education, helped to make everything clear to the correspondent of Uzbekistan Today.
– Over the past three to four years, numerous information materials on the modernization of educational standards have constantly appeared in our media. It seems that every year, new ones are introduced. Could you clarify the situation?
– Indeed, in recent years, scrupulous work was carried out to improve the existing standards, approbation of them on a practical basis. This was the subject of materials in the media. However, all schools until this year worked according to the standards approved in 1999. These were the first standards in the history of national education where the requirements for knowledge that students should receive at each stage of education, were detailed. This year, the Cabinet of Ministers approved new standards, elaborated taking into account best practices.
There are several principal differences in them. The transition to new standards will be carried out step-by-step and will be completed in 2020. This process will be tied to the updating of textbooks. So, from the academic year 2017/2018 the students of 1, 2, 6, 7th grades will pass to the new standards. I note that more than 200 leading scientists, methodologists and teachers worked on the textbooks of the new generation.
– What is the main advantage of the standards approved this year?
– Previously, there were separate standards for schools, colleges and lyceums. As a result, there were various inconsistencies in the study of subjects which did not have the best effect on the quality of education. When developing a new standard, twelve-year compulsory education – nine years in school and three years in a college or lyceum contains a single unit. This will help to evade many shortcomings.
The academic education and learning of the teaching material was a priority in the previous standards and curricula. Everything was aimed at the fact that after studying the material the child could say: “I know …”. Now the educational process will be focused on the practical application of the gained knowledge. With the new standards, we must secure that the student says: “I can …”. Thus, the preparation of the children for professional work will begin already from school years.
– “Labor training” was renamed into the subject “Technology”, and “Fundamentals of Informatics and Computer Engineering” – in “Informatics and Information Technologies”. This fact caused a big resonance in the society. However, what is the essence of the changes?
– There was not only a renaming of the objects, but also an enhancement in their content. Why the lessons of labor became the lessons of “technology”? For example, earlier the program of this subject for boys was built mainly on teaching the basics of wood and metalworking. However, the products of plastic and new materials are widely used today. Previously, they did not say anything about the labor lessons, but now they will. The range of topics that will be considered on this subject, is expanding. In this case, the question will be not only how to use these or other materials, but also how they are received. This will positively influence in the vocational guidance of students.
There is also a similar story with the computer science. Today, the children already in the first class come with skills not only on the computer, but also on other mobile gadgets, so you do not need to teach them elementary basics. Therefore, the standards and curricula for the subject “Computer Science and Information Technology” are now oriented to educating the children in the wider and more active application of these technologies in everyday life.
I will say more: in computer science the status of the school leveled up. If earlier (from the 5th to the 8th grade) this subject could be replaced by any other by the decision of the pedagogical council of the school, but now it has become mandatory. That is, today the lessons of computer science from the 5th to the 9th grades will be guaranteed for all schoolchildren without exception. These changes were made taking into account the best foreign experience.
– And why was a computer science included in the elementary classes in mathematics? Will this not affect the quality of teaching?
– This was made taking into account the requirements of the time and for the formation of children’s 1-4 grades of basic knowledge in information technology.
As for the teaching of mathematics, it will only have a favorable effect on its quality, as the lesson will become more interesting and exciting. After all, the children at this age will begin to receive the information about how all kinds of gadgets work that they use every day.
In addition, programming during this period will be represented mainly by logic problems. The main goal of this innovation is the development of logical thinking.
– There is also much talk about the innovation in physical education. Now the programs of this subject include chess …
– Introduction of chess in the educational process, above all, is aimed at developing students’ logical thinking skills. The fact that this game contributes to this, and that has been known for a long time. Previously, the students could also engage in chess, but only at additional classes, in sports sections, children’s and youth sports schools. Now such conditions will be created for each student.
– What does the Ministry expect from all these innovations?
– We hope that they will help children to realize themselves, to be more successful in their future lives.